wal recycling problem

From: Fabrice Chapuis <fabrice636861(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: wal recycling problem
Date: 2023-09-28 11:11:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I have a question about the automatic removal of unused WAL files. When
are generated and they are not purged automatically nor recycled despite
frequent checkpoints, then pg_wal folder (150Gb) fill and become out of
space.
We have a cluster of 2 members (1 primary and 1 standby) with Postgres
version 14.9 and 2 barman server, slots are only configured for barman,
barman is version 3.7.
The archive command is desactivated (archive_command=':')
I use pg_archivecleanup (with the wal file generated from the last
checkpoint in parameter) to remove files manually before the limit of 150Gb
so that the restore can terminate.

Why does postgres do not this cleanup automatically, which part of the code
is responsible for removing or recycling the wals?

Thanks for your help

Fabrice