Re: BUG #18644: ALTER PUBLICATION ... SET (publish_via_partition_root) wrong/undocumented behavior.

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Maxim Boguk <maxim(dot)boguk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18644: ALTER PUBLICATION ... SET (publish_via_partition_root) wrong/undocumented behavior.
Date: 2024-10-14 06:25:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Oct 9, 2024 at 6:04 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for giving comments! Since I'm not a native I followed your points.
> I ran Grammaly just in case and it said OK.
>
> PSA new version.

+ <caution>
+ <para>
+ When the partition root table is specified as the replication target
+ instead of its leaf tables, altering the
+ <literal>publish_via_partition_root</literal> parameter during
+ replication can cause data loss or duplication. This happens because
+ the subscriber initially subscribed to the leaf tables.

This assumes that the user is always changing
publish_via_partition_root from 'false' to 'true'. Can't she change
from 'false' to 'true' as well?

+ <para>
+ To prevent the issue, you can avoid modifying the partitioned table
+ between the <command>ALTER PUBLICATION ... SET</command> and

Can't the problem happen when any of the leaf tables are modified? If
so, that is not clear from the above statement.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.