Re: Pgoutput not capturing the generated columns

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Shubham Khanna <khannashubham1197(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajendra Kumar Dangwal <dangwalrajendra888(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, euler(at)eulerto(dot)com
Subject: Re: Pgoutput not capturing the generated columns
Date: 2024-10-28 06:45:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 28, 2024 at 7:43 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> 7.
> +$node_publisher->wait_for_catchup('sub_gen');
> +
> +is( $node_subscriber->safe_psql(
> + 'postgres', "SELECT * FROM test_gen ORDER BY a"),
> + qq(1|2),
> + 'replication with generated columns in column list');
> +
>
> But, this is only testing normal replication. You should also include
> some initial table data so you can test that the initial table
> synchronization works too. Otherwise, I think current this patch has
> no proof that the initial 'copy_data' even works at all.

Per my tests, the initial copy doesn't work with 0001 alone. It needs
changes in table sync.c from the 0002 patch. Now, we can commit 0001
after fixing comments and mentioning in the commit message that this
patch supports only the replication of generated columns when
specified in the column list. The initial sync and replication of
generated columns when not specified in the column list will be
supported in future commits. OTOH, if the change to make table sync
work is simple, we can even combine that change.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.