Re: speed up a logical replica setup

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Date: 2024-06-28 05:11:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 11:35 AM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for giving comment! 0001 was modified per suggestions.
>
> > Yeah, it is a good idea to add a new option for two_phase but that
> > should be done in the next version. For now, I suggest updating the
> > docs and probably raising a warning (if max_prepared_transactions !=
> > 0) as suggested by Noah. This WARNING is useful because one could
> > expect that setting max_prepared_transactions != 0 means apply will
> > happen at prepare time after the subscriber is created by this tool.
> > The WARNING will be useful even if we support two_phase option as the
> > user may have set the non-zero value of max_prepared_transactions but
> > didn't use two_phase option.
>
> I also think it should be tunable, in PG18+. 0002 adds a description in doc.
> Also, this executable warns if the max_prepared_transactions != 0 on the
> publisher.

I have slightly adjusted the doc update and warning message for the
0002 patch. Please see attached and let me know what do you think.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-pg_createsubscriber-Warn-the-two-phase-is-disable.patch application/octet-stream 3.9 KB