Re: [DOC] Update ALTER SUBSCRIPTION documentation

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Sjöblom <robert(dot)sjoblom(at)fortnox(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2023-05-08 03:07:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 6:47 PM Robert Sjöblom <robert(dot)sjoblom(at)fortnox(dot)se> wrote:

> We have recently used the PostgreSQL documentation when setting up our
> logical replication. We noticed there was a step missing in the
> documentation on how to drop a logical replication subscription with a
> replication slot attached.
>
> We clarify the documentation to include prerequisites for running the
> DROP SUBSCRIPTION command. Please see attached patch.

Shouldn't we also change the following errhint in the code as well?
ReportSlotConnectionError()
{
ereport(ERROR,
(errcode(ERRCODE_CONNECTION_FAILURE),
errmsg("could not connect to publisher when attempting to drop
replication slot \"%s\": %s",
slotname, err),
/* translator: %s is an SQL ALTER command */
errhint("Use %s to disassociate the subscription from the slot.",
"ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... SET (slot_name = NONE)")));
}

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.