Re: copy query results to file

From: Pandu Poluan <pandu(at)poluan(dot)info>
To: John Payne <jcpayne(at)uw(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: copy query results to file
Date: 2011-12-14 08:15:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Dec 14, 2011 3:06 PM, "John Payne" <jcpayne(at)uw(dot)edu> wrote:

> Hi, a very basic question here: I am using an older version of Postgresql
(8.1.11 running on Redhat Fedora 5.3) on a remote server that times me out
fairly quickly, and I need to run some queries that take a long time to
complete. Therefore I would like to story the query results in a file in a
.csv format. I see from the documentation that there are two basic
approaches:

> 1. Write a query using “COPY table TO ‘file’ CSV”.
>
> 2. Use psql to output the data, as in:
>
> a. \o
>
> b. Query here….
>
> c. \o
>

> Neither approach is working for me. 1) The COPY query doesn’t work on
views, and gives me an error when I try to run it as “COPY (select …). 2)
The psql produces output in an inconvenient format with pipe symbols and
headers and underlines.

> Can anyone advise?

One question: What exactly do you mean with timeout? Timeout of the
database connection, or SSH timeout?

If the latter, can't you install screen or tmux?

Rgds,