Problems changing a view

From: Aren Cambre <aren(at)arencambre(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems changing a view
Date: 2011-12-02 03:47:43
Lists: pgadmin-support

If I change this view:
* SELECT dallas_rlc_locations.location_code, count(dallas_rlc."CitationId")
AS count, dallas_rlc_locations.location, dallas_rlc_locations.the_geom*
* FROM raw.dallas_rlc_locations*
* LEFT JOIN raw.dallas_rlc ON dallas_rlc."Loc Code" =
dallas_rlc_locations.location_code*
* WHERE dallas_rlc."CitationId" IS NOT NULL*
* GROUP BY dallas_rlc_locations.location,
dallas_rlc_locations.location_code, dallas_rlc_locations.the_geom;*

...to this:
* SELECT count(dallas_rlc."CitationId") AS count,
dallas_rlc_locations.location_code, dallas_rlc_locations.location,
dallas_rlc_locations.the_geom*
* FROM raw.dallas_rlc_locations*
* LEFT JOIN raw.dallas_rlc ON dallas_rlc."Loc Code" =
dallas_rlc_locations.location_code*
* WHERE dallas_rlc."CitationId" IS NOT NULL*
* GROUP BY dallas_rlc_locations.location,
dallas_rlc_locations.location_code, dallas_rlc_locations.the_geom;*

(I just reversed the first two fields in the SELECT)

I get this error:
[image: image.png]

Huh? A few is impermanent. There's no reason why I can't arbitrarily change
the view's underlying code as I wish, as long as the final result is valid
SQL. Even if PostgreSQL has some kind of limitation (not alleging it does,
just speculating), couldn't pgAdmin help us out here and get us around the
limitation?

I am using Postgres 9.1.1 and its bundled pgAdmin III 1.14.0 on Windows 7
x64.

Aren