Re: Regarding feature #6841

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Anil Sahoo <anil(dot)sahoo(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regarding feature #6841
Date: 2024-04-18 14:56:17
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024, 15:26 Anil Sahoo <anil(dot)sahoo(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> We took help from Code Mirror, i.e Code Mirror gives the parsed SQL from
> the editor through a tree called syntaxTree and by using some logic we
> extracted the statements which have semicolon in it and also added some
> extra logic to break the whole query on next of next line as empty or if
> comments are there.
>
> Using all this logic we got the individual queries and checked where our
> cursor is in editor and checked with the query and through this we got the
> actual query at cursor position.
>
> For example,
>
> 1. if the cursor is at starting or ending position or anywhere in
> between a query with semicolon or without semicolon, that can be single
> line or multi line then the query gets extracted.
> 2. if the cursor is at starting or ending position or anywhere in
> between a comment that can be single line or multi line then the comment
> gets extracted.
> 3. if the cursor is at a position where the previous line has a query
> then that query gets extracted.
>
> For the anonymous block containing multiple queries, code mirror gives the
> statements differently. That is an incomplete query we can say, so the
> query tool gives error. We can say some limitations are there with Code
> Mirror.
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions on this.

I guess my first question is, what is the requirement being fulfilled here?

Also, I have more experience with selecting what to run, and having it run
whatever was selected. I don't see the current proposal as particularly
intuitive. Having the cursor midway through a statement (or even the last
line of a statement) doesn't quite feel right. What would happen in this
example?...

SELECT contents
FROM |mytable
WHERE id BETWEEN 101 AND 200

ORDER BY id ASC;

Note I placed a pipe to represent the cursor before the table name. And
would it make a difference if the first 3 lines were a single line?

In any case, given all statements are separated by semicolons in
PostgreSQL, I am resistant to the idea of supporting them without for
specific features.

Regards

Thom