Re: Connecting to NOTIFY with telnet

From: Igal Sapir <igal(at)lucee(dot)org>
To: "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connecting to NOTIFY with telnet
Date: 2019-05-04 17:35:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Thank you both (Michel replied off-list it seems),

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 1:10 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2019-05-03 11:06:09 -0700, Igal Sapir wrote:
> > Is it possible to connect to Postgres for notifications via telnet? This
> > is obviously more for learning/experimenting purposes.
>
> No. The protocol is too complicated to make that realistically doable /
> useful.
>
> > I expected a simple way to connect and consume notifications but can not
> > find any example or documentation on how to do that.
>
> If you really wanted to go down that road, you'd have to read the
> protocol specs. It'd not make sense to document how-to steps for
> something as low-level as this.

My main "issue" is that the official pgjdbc driver does not support the
notifications with listen and I was trying to figure out why.

I know that the pgjdbc-ng [1] driver does support that feature, but I'm not
sure how many people use it etc. It looks like it's being maintained with
a recent release from a couple of months ago so that's good.

I thought that given the fact that it's just a socket connection it might
be fairly simple to open a connection and listen.

Best,

Igal

[1] http://impossibl.github.io/pgjdbc-ng/