Re: Unable to Vacuum Large Defragmented Table

From: Igal Sapir <igal(at)lucee(dot)org>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unable to Vacuum Large Defragmented Table
Date: 2019-04-08 02:19:43
Lists: pgsql-general

David,

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 6:20 PM David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 10:09, Igal Sapir <igal(at)lucee(dot)org> wrote:
> >
> > I have a table for which pg_relation_size() shows only 31MB, but
> pg_total_relation_size() shows a whopping 84GB.
> >
> > The database engine is running inside a Docker container, with the data
> mounted as a volume from a partition on the host's file system.
> >
> > When I try to run `VACUUM FULL`, the disk usage goes up until it reaches
> the full capacity of the partition (about 27GB of free space), at which
> point it fails.
>
> That sort of indicates that the table might not be as bloated as you
> seem to think it is. Remember that variable length attributes can be
> toasted and stored in the relation's toast table.

I think that you're on to something here. The table has a JSONB column
which has possibly toasted.

I have deleted many rows from the table itself though, and still fail to
reclaim disk space. Is there something else I should do to delete the
toasted data?

Thanks,

Igal