Re: Starting Postgres when there is no disk space

From: Igal Sapir <igal(at)lucee(dot)org>
To: Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com>, "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Starting Postgres when there is no disk space
Date: 2019-05-03 06:45:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Right. I managed to start up Postgres by symlinking the following
directories to a new mount: pg_logical, pg_subtrans, pg_wal, pg_xact.

I then created a new tablespace on the new mount, set it to be the default
tablespace, and moved some of the smaller (about 30GB) tables to it. That
allowed me to delete old data, do full vacuum, and move the data back to
the original disk.

This is timeseries data and there is a daily process that deletes the old
stuff, but vacuum full still fails to return the space to the OS. Perhaps
I will get better results with table partitioning, or with TimeScaleDB.

Thank you for your help,

Igal