Re: Connecting to NOTIFY with telnet

From: Igal Sapir <igal(at)lucee(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting to NOTIFY with telnet
Date: 2019-05-04 17:49:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Christoph,

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 10:44 AM Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt(at)burggraben(dot)net>
wrote:

> ## Igal Sapir (igal(at)lucee(dot)org):
>
> > My main "issue" is that the official pgjdbc driver does not support the
> > notifications with listen and I was trying to figure out why.
>
> https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/head/listennotify.html

I should have been more explicit. My main issue is with the following
statement from the link that you posted:

> A key limitation of the JDBC driver is that it cannot receive
asynchronous notifications and must poll the backend to check if any
notifications were issued

Polling is much less efficient than event handling and I'm sure that
there's a major performance hit with that.

Thanks,

Igal