Re: Unable to Vacuum Large Defragmented Table

From: Igal Sapir <igal(at)lucee(dot)org>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unable to Vacuum Large Defragmented Table
Date: 2019-04-08 15:22:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Pavel,

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 11:22 PM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> po 8. 4. 2019 v 7:57 odesílatel Igal Sapir <igal(at)lucee(dot)org> napsal:
>
>> David,
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 8:11 PM David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
>> wrote:

>>> only 119,688 rows. The pg_relation_size() still shows 31MB and
>>> pg_total_relation_size() still shows 84GB.

>>> values here do not change.
>>>
>>> deleting rows does not make the table any smaller, it just creates
>>> dead rows in the table. VACUUM tries to release the space used by
>>> those dead rows and turns it back into free space. Normal vacuum (not
>>> FULL) can only shrink the table if completely empty pages are found at
>>> the end of the table.
>>>

>> ACK

>>> disk error as well, so that is in line with your assessment. But it
>>> actually just shows the problem. The new table to which the data was
>>> copied (though failed due to out of disk) shows 0 rows, but
>>> pg_total_relation_size() for that table shows 27GB. So now I have an
>>> "empty" table that takes 27GB of disk space.
>>>
>>> I think the best thing to do is perform a normal VACUUM on the table
>>>

>> Running VACUUM on the newly created table cleared the 27GB so that's good
>> (I was planning to run normal VACUUM but ran FULL).
>>

> you can drop some indexes, then you can run vacuum full, and create
> dropped indexes again.

The table does not have any indexes. It is mostly an append-only table.

>>> then CREATE EXTENSION IF NOT EXISTS pgstattuple; then do; SELECT *
>>> FROM pgstattuple('<tablename>); and the same again on the toast table.
>>> If your table still contains many dead rows then perhaps an open
>>> transaction is stopping rows from being turned into free space.
>>

>> I am not sure how to read the below. I see a lot of "free_space" but not
>> "dead":
>>
>> -[ RECORD 1 ]------+------------
>> ?column? | primary
>> table_len | 32055296
>> tuple_count | 120764
>> tuple_len | 9470882
>> tuple_percent | 29.55
>> dead_tuple_count | 0
>> dead_tuple_len | 0
>> dead_tuple_percent | 0
>> free_space | 20713580
>> free_percent | 64.62
>> -[ RECORD 2 ]------+------------
>> ?column? | toast
>> table_len | 88802156544
>> tuple_count | 15126830
>> tuple_len | 30658625743
>> tuple_percent | 34.52
>> dead_tuple_count | 0
>> dead_tuple_len | 0
>> dead_tuple_percent | 0
>> free_space | 57653329312
>> free_percent | 64.92
>>

> it say, so your table can be reduced about 60%

That's what I thought, and releasing 65% of 84GB would be major here, but
unfortunately I am unable to release it because VACUUM FULL requires more
space than I currently have available.

Perhaps disabling the WAL, if possible, could help VACUUM FULL complete.
Or some way to do an in-place VACUUM so that it doesn't write all the data
to a new table.

Thank you,

Igal