Is it safe to stop postgres in between pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup?

From: Jacob Scott <jacob(dot)scott(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is it safe to stop postgres in between pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup?
Date: 2014-04-02 22:08:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Does upgrading a a disk being used by postgres (9.1, on Ubuntu) with the
following process sound safe?

1. pg_start_backup
2. Take a filesystem snapshot (of a volume containing postgres data but
not pg_xlog)
3. Bring a new higher performing disk online from snapshot
4. pg_ctl stop
5. switch disks (umount/remount at same mountpoint)
6. pg_ctl start
7. pg_stop_backup

This seems like an odd use case because pg_start_backup is designed for
performing on-line backups, but I think it will give me minimum downtime.

Thanks,

Jacob