Re: Saving view turns SELECT * into field list

From: Ben Madin <ben(at)ausvet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Ben Uphoff <buphoff(at)villagemd(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Saving view turns SELECT * into field list
Date: 2018-10-16 04:01:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Actually, it's super useful, because if someone adds a salaries column to
your staff table, it doesn't automatically appear on the front page of your
corporate website... :)

Made up example, but if you presume that data security is an important part
of data management, it is a livesaver.

To get around it all you have to do is script a drop and replace action.

A last word - if you have nested views, remember that they are essentially
just query aliases that return an unindexed result set...

cheers

Ben

--

[image: Ausvet Logo] <https://www.ausvet.com.au/>