Re: pgbench results arent accurate

From: Mariel Cherkassky <mariel(dot)cherkassky(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Clough <Greg(dot)Clough(at)ihsmarkit(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbench results arent accurate
Date: 2018-12-16 11:58:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

As Greg suggested, update you all that each vm has its own dedicated esx.
Every esx has it`s own local disks.
I run it one time on two different servers that has the same hardware and
same postgresql db (version and conf). The results :
pgbench -i -s 6 pgbench -p 5432 -U postgres
pgbench -c 16 -j 4 -T 5 -U postgres pgbench
MACHINE 1
starting vacuum...end.
transaction type: <builtin: TPC-B (sort of)>
scaling factor: 6
query mode: simple
number of clients: 16
number of threads: 4
duration: 5 s
number of transactions actually processed: 669
latency average = 122.633 ms

MACHINE 2

pgbench -c 16 -j 4 -T 600 -U postgres -p 5433 pgbench
starting vacuum...end.
transaction type: <builtin: TPC-B (sort of)>
scaling factor: 6
query mode: simple
number of clients: 16
number of threads: 4
duration: 600 s
number of transactions actually processed: 2393723
latency average = 4.011 ms

any idea what can cause such a difference ? Both of the machines have
20core and 65GB of ram.

‫בתאריך יום ה׳, 13 בדצמ׳ 2018 ב-15:54 מאת ‪Mariel Cherkassky‬‏ <‪
mariel(dot)cherkassky(at)gmail(dot)com‬‏>:‬