Re: flinfo NULL in DirectFunctionCall callee?

From: Paul A Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: flinfo NULL in DirectFunctionCall callee?
Date: 2019-08-26 17:41:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 8:12 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Paul A Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com> writes:
> > Is it expected for flinfo to be null when using DirectFunctionCall*?
>
> Yes, per the comment on those functions:
>
> * These are for invocation of a specifically named function with a
> * directly-computed parameter list. Note that neither arguments nor result
> * are allowed to be NULL. Also, the function cannot be one that needs to
> * look at FmgrInfo, since there won't be any.

Thanks Tom! Alas I saw that same comment in fmgr.h but it was missing
the last sentence. Would you like a patch updating it there? Is that
the kind of thing you make CF entries for? (And sorry this is veering
into pgsql-hackers territory....)

> Use fmgr_info() or a sibling to fill in the FmgrInfo.

Thanks for this too! I wound up just adding a range_cmp_internal to
avoid the whole issue, which is a pattern already used by a bunch of
the other range_* functions.

Yours,
Paul