Re: FREE hosting platforms with PostgreSQL, Java SDK, Tomcat, ecc.?

From: Fernando Pianegiani <fernando(dot)pianegiani(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>, pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com
Cc: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>, pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FREE hosting platforms with PostgreSQL, Java SDK, Tomcat, ecc.?
Date: 2011-08-07 08:46:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-testers pgsql-www

John, Craig,

how do you explain the services of file hosting? By those services millions
of persons free-load pictures, videos, text, GBs of data, etc.. I think that
what I asked is quite similar, that is the use of a piece of remote hardware
where to have free software installed. The difference in my opinion is in
the fact that I implicitly asked also for the use of a free operating
system, but not in the hardware or in its maintenance.

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 3:56 AM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:
On 08/06/11 4:40 PM, David Johnston wrote:

> The bottom line is I would not expect to find any individual or company
> willing or able to offer such a service, to the general public, for free.
> And it is a service you are requesting as opposed to a product like
> PostgreSQL. A product is more likely to be improved by the people using it
> compared to a service, and those improvements are likely to make it back
> into the original.

indeed, especially a service like hosting that has significant ongoing hard
costs involved... a colocated server requires power, air conditioning,
network traffic and transit fees, management, physical security, and the
cost of the hardware itself, which has typically a 3-5 year lifespan (in 3
years, newer hardware can do so much more work its often not cost effective
to keep the old hardware online).