Integration of Comprehensive PostgreSQL Extension Development Tutorial

From: Ishaan Adarsh <ishaanad9(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Integration of Comprehensive PostgreSQL Extension Development Tutorial
Date: 2024-01-05 06:15:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi,

I am reaching out for some input regarding the integration of a comprehensive
PostgreSQL extension development tutorial
<https://github.com/IshaanAdarsh/Postgres-extension-tutorial/blob/main/SGML/intro_and_toc.md>
that I've been working on as part of the GSoC 2023 project
<https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GSoC_2023#Postgres_extension_tutorial_.2F_quick_start>
.

Based on the feedback, there is a real need
<https://twitter.com/jer_s/status/1699071450915938609> for this. Currently,
all the extension material is scattered and very limited. There are various
third-party blog posts focusing on different areas, and sometimes
contradictory. The main motivation behind making this is to make
the barrier for entry less prohibitive for new contributors.

I would greatly appreciate your insights on how to seamlessly integrate
this tutorial into the existing documentation (add it as its separate block
or some other way). If there are areas where the current documentation
suffices or if there are ways to enhance the overall structure, I am open
to making adjustments.

I recently tried to add a documentation patch for procedural languages,
specifically PL/pgSQL and PL/Python, which is part of the procedural
language section within the broader tutorial. You can find the ongoing
discussion on the patch here
<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA+oefZ72dLzRzgDe0VU01b7m4+A2bkQnZfXSuvXSzV7QHm0R3Q(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
.

--