Re: psycopg3: a first report

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stefan Knecht <knecht(dot)stefan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psycopg3: a first report
Date: 2020-03-30 09:17:53
Lists: psycopg

Hi Stefan,

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 17:27 Stefan Knecht, <knecht(dot)stefan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

If I may, one thing that has been a constant troublemaker for us - running
> primarily on AWS - is timeouts. I would love to see a fundamental
> implementation of timeouts at the connection level, regardless of activity
> - e.g. in the middle of a query, between queries, etc.. If the connection
> hangs (because the server disappeared or failed over) or does not respond
> (particularly in the weird cases like when the destination IP just vanishes
> and the tcp timeout kicks in) - I'd like to know about it within a
> reasonable time and be able to react to that.

It would be interesting to set up integration tests wirh connections being
disrupted in various ways and at different moments during connection and
query processes. I'd rather do them in a test framework rather than one-off.

Mitmproxy could be a nice tool to build them.

https://mitmproxy.org/

-- Daniele