Re: WSL (windows subsystem on linux) users will need to turn fsync off as of 11.2

From: Bruce Klein <brucek(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ravi Krishna <srkrishna100(at)aol(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WSL (windows subsystem on linux) users will need to turn fsync off as of 11.2
Date: 2019-02-15 01:55:33
Lists: pgsql-general

> In 11.1 did you see the message "WARNING: could not flush dirty data:
Function not implemented"
Yes

re: the discussions of O/S and filesystem in that thread:
I am not qualified to describe the implementation of WSL but I believe it
is neither pure Ubuntu running on metal, nor a virtual machine hosted on
Windows. I believe what the Microsoft folks have done is implement
something around the driver/kernel layer that fools Ubuntu into thinking it
is connected to hardware it expects, while it is ultimately still running
on top of a Windows kernel and Windows filesystem. That includes stubbing
out or otherwise presenting an appearance of implementing some functions
like perhaps fsync() that it really doesn't. Note I believe this is
fundamentally different from the old Cygwin and similar projects approach,
i.e. WSL does not involve recompiling on top of window specific libraries
etc. If any of these details are important to anyone you should verify them
from a more credible source.

If it matters, the Ubuntu version I am running on WSL now is 16.04.5.