Re: [Slony1-general] A 154 GB table swelled to 527 GB on the Slony slave. How to compact it?

From: Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli(dot)tech(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Slony1-general] A 154 GB table swelled to 527 GB on the Slony slave. How to compact it?
Date: 2012-03-08 05:01:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear Joshua,

You wrote:

> Try disabling replication on that table and clustering the table and then re-enabling
> replication.
> Alternatively you could disable replication on that table, truncate the table, and then
> re-enable replication for that table. A concern would be is that it is a large table
> regardless, which means you are going to hold open a transaction to refill it.

I don't see any way to disable replication on a table in Slony. I do
see I can remove
a table from the replication set, and then add it back in. Is that
what you meant, or
am I missing something?

I ask because I know when a table is added to a replication set, it is
copied over in
full from origin to slave, and since this table is huge, I'll need to
schedule a maintenance
window to minimize impact on production.

Yours truly,
Aleksey