C locale versus en_US.UTF8. (Was: String comparision in PostgreSQL)

From: Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli(dot)tech(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: C locale versus en_US.UTF8. (Was: String comparision in PostgreSQL)
Date: 2012-08-29 17:31:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> citext unfortunately doesn't allow for index optimization of LIKE
> queries, which IMNSHO defeats the whole purpose. to the best way
> remains to use lower() ...
> this will be index optimized and fast as long as you specified C
> locale for your database.

What is the difference between C and en_US.UTF8, please? We see that
the same query (that invokes a sort) runs 15% faster under the C
locale. The output between C and en_US.UTF8 is identical. We're
considering moving our database from en_US.UTF8 to C, but we do deal
with internationalized text.

Best,
Aleksey