Re: Cirrus CI for macOS branches 16 and 15 broken

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cirrus CI for macOS branches 16 and 15 broken
Date: 2024-08-18 19:52:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 19, 2024 at 2:07 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:
> [14:01:37.431] Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize
> MacPorts, sqlite error: attempt to write a readonly database (8) while
> executing query: CREATE INDEX registry.snapshot_file_id ON
> snapshot_files(id)

Hmmm. Basically there is a loop-back disk device that get cached
between runs (same technique as ccache), on which macports is
installed. This makes it ready to test stuff fast, with all the
dependencies ready and being updated only when they need to be
upgraded. It is both clever and scary due to the path dependency...
(Cf other OSes, where we have a base image with all the right packages
installed already, no "memory" between runs like that.)

The macOS major version and hash of the MacPorts package install
script are in the cache key for that (see 64c39bd5), so a change to
that script would make a totally fresh installation, and hopefully
work. I will look into that, but it would also be nice to understand
how it go itself into that state so we can avoid it...

> I know there have been some changes recently to manage the OS version
> change. Are these older branches expected to work?

Yes.