Re: BUG #18219: libpq does not take into consideration UNICODE define

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jan Březina <2janbrezina(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18219: libpq does not take into consideration UNICODE define
Date: 2023-11-30 22:19:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 10:58 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Seems like a non-starter.

... and I should probably explain why. This project has difficulty
maintaining Windows support, because of a general lack of PostgreSQL
developers working on that platform (but we welcome more! patches
welcome!) and a disproportionately high amount of maintenance work
that it generates. One factor is that there are several different
Windows configurations (different compilers, C runtimes, build
systems, file system semantics, partial POSIX emulations like MSYS and
Cygwin...) to consider. I doubt we'd want to add another dimension to
that problem space by saying we have to maintain and test the UNICODE
and non-UNICODE code paths in our libraries.

Hence my intuition that we should be figuring out where the right
place is to suppress or undefine UNICODE.