Re: Docs Build in CI failing with "failed to load external entity"

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Docs Build in CI failing with "failed to load external entity"
Date: 2024-10-25 05:22:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 25, 2024 at 4:44 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I know in the past docs builds failing with "failed to load external
> > entity" have happened on macos. But, recently I've noticed this
> > failure for docs build on CI (not on macos) -- docs build is one of
> > the jobs run under the "Compiler Warnings" task.
>
> It looks to me like a broken docbook installation on (one of?)
> the CI machines. Note that the *first* complaint is
>
> [19:23:20.590] file:///etc/xml/catalog:1: parser error : Document is empty

Yeah. That CI job runs on a canned Debian image that is rebuilt and
republished every couple of days to make sure it's using up to date
packages and kernel etc. Perhaps the package installation silently
corrupted /etc/xml/catalog, given that multiple packages probably mess
with it, though I don't have a specific theory for how that could
happen, given that package installation seems to be serial... The
installation log doesn't seem to show anything suspicious.

https://github.com/anarazel/pg-vm-images/
https://cirrus-ci.com/github/anarazel/pg-vm-images
https://cirrus-ci.com/build/5427240429682688
https://api.cirrus-ci.com/v1/task/6621385303261184/logs/build_image.log

I tried simply reinstalling docbook-xml in my own github account
(which is showing the problem), and it cleared the error:

setup_additional_packages_script: |
- #apt-get update
- #DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -y install ...
+ apt-get update
+ DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -y install --reinstall docbook-xml

https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6458406242877440

I wonder if this will magically fix itself when the next CI image
build cron job kicks off. I have no idea what time zone this page is
showing but it should happen in another day or so, unless Andres is
around to kick it sooner:

https://cirrus-ci.com/github/anarazel/pg-vm-images