Re: PostgreSQL does not compile on macOS SDK 15.0

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Stan Hu <stanhu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL does not compile on macOS SDK 15.0
Date: 2024-07-04 23:54:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 4, 2024 at 9:12 PM Aleksander Alekseev
<aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com> wrote:
> I checked against SDK 15 and 14. I also checked that it doesn't break
> something on Linux.

Thanks for testing!

> The patch seems to work. I don't have a Windows machine unfortunately.

Yeah, Windows doesn't have <regex.h> (it has <regex> as part of the
C++ standard library, but nothing for C because that's from POSIX, not
the C standard library). So I just skip the #include on Windows, and
I see that it's passing on all CI.

It seems like there is no reason not to go ahead and push this,
including back-patching, then.

I had been thinking that I should try harder to make the pg_ prefix
compile-time configurable (imagine some kind of string-pasting macros
constructing the names), so that TCL and PG could have fewer diffs.
But we're already not doing that for the function names, so unless Tom
wants me to try to do that...?

It's a funny position to finish up in: we have pg_ functions, pg_
types but still standard REG_XXX macros. In the future someone might
want to rename them all to PG_REG_XXX, so that we completely move out
of the way of the system regex stuff. But not today, and certainly
not in back-branches.