Re: On non-Windows, hard depend on uselocale(3)

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On non-Windows, hard depend on uselocale(3)
Date: 2023-11-15 18:38:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 6:45 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Tristan Partin" <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech> writes:
> > I would like to propose removing HAVE_USELOCALE, and just have WIN32,
> > which means that Postgres would require uselocale(3) on anything that
> > isn't WIN32.
>
> You would need to do some research and try to prove that that won't
> be a problem on any modern platform. Presumably it once was a problem,
> or we'd not have bothered with a configure check.
>
> (Some git archaeology might yield useful info about when and why
> we added the check.)

According to data I scraped from the build farm, the last two systems
we had that didn't have uselocale() were curculio (OpenBSD 5.9) and
wrasse (Solaris 11.3), but those were both shut down (though wrasse
still runs old branches) as they were well out of support. OpenBSD
gained uselocale() in 6.2, and Solaris in 11.4, as part of the same
suite of POSIX changes that we already required in commit 8d9a9f03.

+1 for the change.

https://man.openbsd.org/uselocale.3
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E88353_01/html/E37843/uselocale-3c.html