Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded
Date: 2023-06-07 19:59:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 8, 2023 at 7:20 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Is the platform support really there for all platforms we want/intend to
> support? I have no problem believing that for modern Linux/BSD systems,
> but what about the older stuff we currently support.

There is a conversation to be had about whether/when/how to adopt
C11/C17 threads (= same API on Windows and Unix, but sadly two
straggler systems don't have required OS support yet (macOS,
OpenBSD)), but POSIX + NT threads were all worked out in the 90s. We
have last-mover advantage here.

> Also, which other projects did this transition? Is there something we
> could learn from them? Were they restricted to much smaller list of
> platforms?

Apache may be interesting. Wide ecosystem of extensions.