Re: Character classes

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: geert(dot)lobbestael(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Character classes
Date: 2019-05-21 09:18:58
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 6:06 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> The 20-year-old reference in our text to ctype(3) seems rather unhelpful
> today; in the first place, there's no such man page on my Linux systems,
> and in the second place, wctype(3) is more important if it exists, and
> in the third place what a reader actually wants to know is that this
> is controlled by the LC_CTYPE server parameter. It'd likely be better
> to dump the man-page reference altogether and instead point readers to
> our "Locale Support" chapter.

No opinion on the reference, but out of curiosity I hunted down the
equivalent man page on a RHEL system. There it goes by ctype.h(0P),
which makes some kind of sense: there isn't a ctype function, so it
has no business in section 3, while wctype is a function so there is a
wctype(3) along with a header page wctype.h(0P). 0P seems to be for
POSIX headers, or something like that. BSDen don't seem to bother
with this distinction and just provide ctype(3).

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com