Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607
Date: 2024-08-08 23:45:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jul 31, 2024 at 9:53 PM Sandeep Thakkar
<sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 11:39 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 23, 2024 at 12:12 AM Sandeep Thakkar
>> <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> . o O { I wonder if it could ever be possible to have that automated
>> via CI. Imagine if I/anyone could clone the EDB installer github
>> repo, and push a small patch into a private branch that tells it where
>> to pull PostgreSQL sources from, including any public git branch
>> including commitfest ones, and some options like with/without
>> assertions, and have CI spit out a new installer as an artifact?
>> Hopefully non-REL_XXX_STABLE branches would have a big warning on the
>> GUI so that users would never accidentally think it's a real release.
>> }
>
> yeah, that'll be helpful but unfortunately it's not possible atm. Hopefully, we will
> have that available in future through the GitHub actions.

Sounds great.

FWIW it's easy[1][2] to make the PostgreSQL CI spit out a zip file
with a snapshot build of PostgreSQL. I expect it doesn't actually run
on a real Windows system unless you also install DLLs it needs like
OpenSSL, ICU etc, and I'm not sure if that would be best done by
stuffing them too into the .zip file, or if the scripts[3] that the CI
images are prepared with should be used by someone who wants to test
it. But thinking about that leads me back to the thought that it'd be
better if people interested in trying pre-releases could get an EDB
installer for a snapshot build from any branch anywhere, so it all
works the way they will actually use it in real life. And of course
you guys already did all the hard work to deal with dependencies.

[1] https://github.com/macdice/postgres/commit/56e967f9cd35ef418a653d191a4d9ea85055d94b
[2] https://cirrus-ci.com/task/4831619775725568
[3] https://github.com/anarazel/pg-vm-images/tree/main/scripts