Re: BUG #18610: llvm error: __aarch64_swp4_acq_rel which could not be resolved

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "a(dot)kozhemyakin" <a(dot)kozhemyakin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18610: llvm error: __aarch64_swp4_acq_rel which could not be resolved
Date: 2024-09-12 22:33:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Sep 12, 2024 at 2:30 PM a.kozhemyakin
<a(dot)kozhemyakin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> Thank you, the error no longer occurs after adding -mno-outline-atomics or -march=armv8.1-a
>
> I installed packages on debian-12 (arm64) from https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt, the error is repeated.

Ahh, I see that we already have a thread proposing to add
-moutline-atomics to our main executable, over here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/099F69EE-51D3-4214-934A-1F28C0A1A7A7%40amazon.com

If clang has changed to assuming -moutline-atomics now (perhaps you
can see which version of clang starting adding that switch by default
the command I showed earlier, if you have a few versions of clang
around, perhaps from apt.llvm.org) then we either need to stop it
from doing that with -mno-outline-atomics, or compile our executable
(or at least llvmjit.so?) to use that too so the helper library that
defines those functions is linked in. The people who developed that
stuff are, I think, interested in using the faster LSE stuff on modern
phones, while still being able to run apps on the older phones that
are still in circulation, but of course we have the same issue: we
want our stuff to use LSE on Ampere/Grativon etc server chips, while
still being able to run on Raspberry Pi 4 etc. And that'll speed up
many things related to locking in the server itself, not only in this
fairly obscure JIT-inlined thing.