Re: Checks in RegisterBackgroundWorker.()

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checks in RegisterBackgroundWorker.()
Date: 2023-08-24 21:00:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 3:15 AM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
> In summary, RegisterBackgroundWorker() is doing some questionable and
> useless work, when a shared preload library is loaded to a backend
> process in EXEC_BACKEND mode.

Yeah. When I was working on 7389aad6 ("Use WaitEventSet API for
postmaster's event loop."), I also tried to move all of the
postmaster's state variables into PostmasterContext (since the only
reason for that scope was the signal handler code that is now gone),
and I hit a variant of this design problem. I wonder if that would be
unblocked by this...

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+hUKGKH_RPAo=NgPfHKj--565aL1qiVpUGdWt1_pmJehY+dmw@mail.gmail.com