Re: Reference to - BUG #18349: ERROR: invalid DSA memory alloc request size 1811939328, CONTEXT: parallel worker

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrei Lepikhov <lepihov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Craig Milhiser <craig(at)milhiser(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reference to - BUG #18349: ERROR: invalid DSA memory alloc request size 1811939328, CONTEXT: parallel worker
Date: 2024-10-17 23:34:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Oct 17, 2024 at 10:48 PM Andrei Lepikhov <lepihov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> BTW, why not to use current case and fix the problem with the 'invalid
> DSA memory alloc request size 1811939328' itself ?

I think your patch is good but if you don't mind I'd like to think
about how to generalise it a bit first, so that it applies to all
places where we choose nbatch, not just repartitioning. Unfortunately
that's a bit circular so I'm still thinking about the tidiest way to
do it... might take a few days due to travel, and if I don't have
something soon I guess your patch is better than nothing (it might be
the most common way we finish up in that sort of trouble).

I'll also push that other patch that cleans up temporary files
aggressively soon (master only), and try to think about some simple
ways to avoid large nbatch values that contradict the goal of reducing
memory for non-skew cases at planning and execution time (probably
master only)...