Re: How to get the physical locations of tables, views, functions etc of Postgresql in Windows & Linux?

From: Raghavendra <raghavendra(dot)rao(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Siva Palanisamy <siva_p(at)hcl(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to get the physical locations of tables, views, functions etc of Postgresql in Windows & Linux?
Date: 2012-05-04 12:03:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Siva Palanisamy <siva_p(at)hcl(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Raghavendra,****
>
> ** **
>
> Is it sure that we can copy only the data of Postgresql from one disk to
> other seamlessly and then I can reuse the content without any hassle? If
> so, tablespace is what I should create first?****
>
> Please clarify me on this.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks & Regards,****
>
> Siva.****
>
> **

Yes, using tablespace, you can move object files across disks. Here is
small example, I have done on my local box but you can tweak as per your
tablespace locations.

First I place object in one tablespace and moved it another tablespace.

postgres=# create tablespace space1 location '/opt/PostgreSQL/9.1/tspace';
CREATE TABLESPACE

postgres=# create table foo(id int) tablespace space1;
CREATE TABLE

postgres=# \d foo
Table "public.foo"
Column | Type | Modifiers
--------+---------+-----------
id | integer |
Tablespace: "space1"

postgres=# insert into foo select generate_series(1,10000);
INSERT 0 10000
postgres=# \dt+ foo
List of relations
Schema | Name | Type | Owner | Size | Description
--------+------+-------+----------+--------+-------------
public | foo | table | postgres | 384 kB |
(1 row)

postgres=# select pg_tablespace_size('space1');
pg_tablespace_size
--------------------
397312
(1 row)

Now create a new one and move it.

postgres=# create tablespace new_space location
'/opt/PostgreSQL/9.1/newspace';
CREATE TABLESPACE

postgres=# alter table foo set tablespace new_space;
ALTER TABLE

postgres=# \d foo
Table "public.foo"
Column | Type | Modifiers
--------+---------+-----------
id | integer |
Tablespace: "new_space"

postgres=# select pg_tablespace_size('new_space');
pg_tablespace_size
397312
(1 row)

---