Re: general questions

From: Raghavendra <raghavendra(dot)rao(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: CS DBA <cs_dba(at)consistentstate(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: general questions
Date: 2014-01-09 05:59:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> CS DBA <cs_dba(at)consistentstate(dot)com> writes:
> > 1) \d and schema's
> > - I setup 2 schema's (sch_a and sch_b)
> > - I added both schema's to my search_path
> > - I created 2 tables: sch_a.test_tab and sch_b.test_tab
>
> > If I do a \d with no parameters I only see the first test_tab table
> > based on the order of my search_path.
> > I get that any queries will use the first found table if I don't specify
> > the schemaname but
> > if I'm looking for a full list (i.e. \d with no parameters) I would
> > think I should get a full list back
>
> > Is this intentional?
>
> Yes. If you want to see stuff that's invisible in your current search
> path, use "\d *.*". That's even documented somewhere ...

As Tom already said, am adding document pointer, you can find i
n "patterns"
.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-psql.html

> > 3) Can I force unaligned mode AND no wrap for psql output?

For both unaligned
AND
no wrap, I guess you need to take help of PAGER and
"
psql
-A
" or "
ostgres=#
\a
"
or
"postgres=#
\pset format unaligned
"

I would try like:

export PAGER='less -RSX' // It no wraps the output
psql -A

// Unaligned

--
Raghav