Re: PG Sharding

From: Dan Wierenga <dwierenga(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steven Lembark <lembark(at)wrkhors(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG Sharding
Date: 2018-02-01 18:01:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 7:48 PM, Steven Lembark <lembark(at)wrkhors(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:34:18 +0100
> Matej <gmatej(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone.
> >
> > We are looking at a rather large fin-tech installation. But as
> > scalability requirements are high we look at sharding of-course.
> >
> > I have looked at many sources for Postgresql sharding, but we are a
> > little confused as to shared with schema or databases or both.
>
> Suggest looking at the Xreme Data product. It is a parallel,
> shared-nothing implementation of PG that should solve your
> needs rather nicely.
>
> You can see a description of their product at
> https://xtremedata.com/
>
> Happy scaling :-)

Having been a production DBA for both the DBX (XtremeData) and the
Greenplum MPP database platforms, IMO Greenplum is far superior to DBX.
Issues with the GP master node being a single point of failure are solved
by a secondary master node and automatic failover technology e.g.
keepalived.

But, it sounds like the OP is not really looking for the kind of scale that
an MPP solution provides, but rather the kind of scale that is typically
solved by a service-orchestration suite. I don't think that "a rather
large fin-tech installation" with "high scalability requirements" is really
enough detail to give a recommendation on orchestration software.

-dan