Re: Built-in CTYPE provider

From: Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Built-in CTYPE provider
Date: 2024-07-09 14:51:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 9, 2024 at 4:00 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
wrote:

> My personal exprience is that very few users are aware of or care about
> the strict accuracy of the collation sort order and other locale aspects.
> But they care a lot about index corruption.
>
> So I'd argue that we should not have any breaking changes at all, even in
> cases where the provider is clearly wrong.

FWIW, using external ICU libraries is a nice solution for users who need
strict and up-to-date Unicode support.

Cell phones do often get support for new code points before databases. So
databases can end up storing characters before they are aware of the
meaning. (Slide 27 in the pgconf.dev talk illustrates a recent timeline of
Unicode & phone updates.)

-Jeremy