Re: RFC: Make new versions of pgjdbc Java8+

From: Jorge Solórzano <jorsol(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht(at)8kdata(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Make new versions of pgjdbc Java8+
Date: 2017-04-03 17:48:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht(at)8kdata(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 03/04/17 18:32, Jorge Solórzano wrote:
> The End of Public Updates
> <https://blogs.oracle.com/java/end-of-public-updates-for-java-se-6> of *Oracle
> JDK* 6 was on Feb 2013, *but* there is an "premier" and "extended" support
> <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html> (paid of course)
> where the "extended" ends on Dec 2018.
>

> - If you ask me, we should stick to the "premier" support dates for
> the PgJDBC, so basically Java 6 should have died in Dec 2015.
> - Following the "premier" support, Java 7 should be dropped until Jul
> 2019.
>
> So.... we are going to be favoring customers paying extra premium fees
> to Oracle.... don't count with me! ^_^
>
> I don't agree. For me EOL is EOL, not premier.

​My point is not favoring customer paying extra premium fees to Oracle, is
to choose "sane"​ dates to drop support in PgJDBC.

> - The Oracle JDK it's not the only JDK so the End of Public Updates
> from Oracle should not dictate the kill of a Java version, there is OpenJDK.
> - The OpenJDK/IcedTea team, drop support for Java 6
> <http://blog.fuseyism.com/index.php/2017/01/11/discontinuation-of-support-for-icedtea-1-x/>
> just recently.
>

> ​​
> Fair enough. But as a simple example, neither openjdk6 nor openjdk7 are
> available in my Ubuntu distro (16.04, not even bleeding edge).

​And that's why I use Azul Zulu JDK :-)

> - The Azul Zulu <http://zulu.org/> team still supports Java 6 (at
> least I haven't hear the drop of support).
>
> So +1 for drop support for Java 6, and -1 for drop support for Java 7.
>
> Still unconvinced of a strong reason to keep support for Java 7. My +1
> for Java8+.

​Yes, there are not strong reasons to ​keep support for Java 7 (apart that
it's still widely used), but there are not strong reasons to drop support
for Java 7 neither.
It looks like the java implementation mentioned scram-sasl
<https://github.com/ogrebgr/scram-sasl> supports Java 7, and BTW the Base64
<https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/blob/master/pgjdbc/src/main/java/org/postgresql/util/Base64.java>
class of Robert Harder is in PgJDBC, but hey if you convince the project
maintainers to move to Java 8+ I'm not against it :-) as I said the project
is ultra-conservative for better or worse.