hot_standby_feedback vs. max_standby_archive_delay/max_standby_streaming_delay?

From: Steve Kehlet <steve(dot)kehlet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: hot_standby_feedback vs. max_standby_archive_delay/max_standby_streaming_delay?
Date: 2014-08-21 20:44:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Our queries on our Standby are getting cancelled and so we're investigating
how to prevent this. The standby is for running periodic reporting queries
only, we don't care if it falls behind a little bit, we just set this guy
up to reduce the load on the Primary.

While researching there appear to be several different parameters that can
help solve this. It sounds like we don't need hot_standby_feedback or
vacuum_defer_cleanup_age, we really just want to pause things on the
standby to let it run its queries. So we're going to try
applying max_standby_archive_delay and max_standby_streaming_delay to 1h or
so. We're also looking at pg_xlog_replay_pause(), although this is less
desirable because we don't want to have to ask the people running reports
to remember to pause and resume things.

Can anyone confirm we're on the right track or provide further guidance?
Thanks so much.