Re: how to investigate GIN fast updates and cleanup cycles?

From: Steve Kehlet <steve(dot)kehlet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to investigate GIN fast updates and cleanup cycles?
Date: 2015-08-28 19:42:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 11:18 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> It looks like a VACUUM will do the cleanup during the first ginbulkdelete
> call, so you could probably handle this by running a manual "VACUUM
> VERBOSE" with the smallest possible maintenance_work_mem, and canceling it
> as soon as you see something reported about the GIN index.

Since I'm back to running VACUUM VERBOSE by hand, can you clarify for me
how reducing maintenance_work_mem (currently 512MB) will speed it up? Will
it work in smaller chunks? So just do something like:

set maintenance_work_mem = '32MB';
VACUUM VERBOSE my_table';

How do I determine the smallest value possible? Just start small (32MB?)
and see if it fails, and increase until it doesn't?