Re: is there a way to firmly cap postgres worker memory consumption?

From: Steve Kehlet <steve(dot)kehlet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amador Alvarez <apradopg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: is there a way to firmly cap postgres worker memory consumption?
Date: 2014-04-08 18:58:27
Lists: pgsql-general

> Did you check if your OS allows you to limit memory usage per user /
> process basis?

I'll definitely dig more into this. I found some stuff saying it isn't as
easy as one would expect, i.e. not just a ulimit and done. Or maybe it is,
in this case. I will play around.

> Did you either profiled or debugged it to see what is going on?

I would love to learn more about how to do this, to get to the bottom of
the memory usage. I can google around, or can you suggest any reads?

> When memory consumption grows , Doesn't ever swap out?

Yes, it consumes all swap.