Re: ON CONFLICT does not support deferrable unique constraints

From: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ON CONFLICT does not support deferrable unique constraints
Date: 2016-08-25 07:29:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Andreas Joseph Krogh
<andreas(at)visena(dot)com> wrote:
> As a developer I want it to "just work", if there's an error of any kind then abort the transaction, just as it was non-deferrable.

Everybody wants everything to "just work", for their own ( in a lot of
cases unspecified even to the themselves ) definition of JW.
Developers normally want to be told what "just work" means when
developing something.

That been said, I'm not sure making it ( deferred constraint act like
immediate ones during upserts ) work is even a good idea. If it can be
conditionally enabled with a simple set and implemented in very few (
< 20 ) lines of code, ok for me , otherwise I would prefer the reduced
bug surface.

Francisco Olarte.