Re: How to fork pg_dump or psql w/o leaking secrets?

From: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
To: Dominique Devienne <ddevienne(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to fork pg_dump or psql w/o leaking secrets?
Date: 2023-09-22 14:02:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 22 Sept 2023 at 15:25, Dominique Devienne <ddevienne(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 12:45 PM Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I think that forking a beast like psql will make you incurring into a
>> lot of security problems that are worst your "password leak".
> I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense to me.
> I'm talking of replacing using my tool then psql, with using my tool that forks psql.
> In both cases these are clients apps that connect to a particular DB, for a given user.

It appears you use fork to mean "fork & exec", the classic way to
start a slave ( controlled? helper ? I do not know the modern PC word
for that ) process on *ix, while Luca is thinking on a source fork,
the thing which is normally done in git and friends to have a similar
but derived software built.

Francisco Olarte.