Re: Restarting DB after moving to another drive

From: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
To: Daniel Begin <jfd553(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: rod(at)iol(dot)ie, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Restarting DB after moving to another drive
Date: 2015-05-11 15:00:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Daniel.

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Daniel Begin <jfd553(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Just to make sure I understand properly...
> When I installed Postgresql, I set $PGDATA to point on my old drive and I
> must now move everything on the new one.
> In order to move everything on the new drive I must create a tablespace on
> the new drive and then explicitly define this tablespace as the new location
> of...
> - the postgres database
> - my personal database
> - pg_default
> - pg_global
> Anything I missed or put in the wrong sequence?

I do not think it is that easy. You can move nearly everything, but it
will be slow an you are not going to get rid of the old disk.

One question, ¿ How big/critical is your database ? because all your
problems can be solved with a dump/initdb/restore easily, and if you
can leave it doing overnight it is th easier way. Also, I've moved
directories across disks before, and it has worked, but I use linux
which is much simpler, and just did an stop / cp / change pgdata /
restart, I suppose windows must have comparable ways.

Francisco Olarte.