Re: BUG #18619: uppercase column with quotation marks, gets an error without quotation marks

From: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
To: gcso(at)sqliteonline(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18619: uppercase column with quotation marks, gets an error without quotation marks
Date: 2024-09-16 11:28:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, 16 Sept 2024 at 10:53, <gcso(at)sqliteonline(dot)com> wrote:
> If this is not an error, then why does the structure return, name without quotation marks.

Because it does not need to.

When you send the column list a,B,"c","D" folding rules transform them
to a,b,c,D, that is "the structure return".

You are supposed to know how to send the real column names. Dura lex, sed lex.

> Then the answer about the table structure is not correct.

The "table structure" IS NOT what you have to to type, is just the
real column names. If you want to define "table structure" as what you
have to type to make it work, then it is not. If you define it as
"what you send quoted and works" then it is correct ( notice with the
above definition you can use "a","b","c","D" in a query and it will
work.

Anyway, SQL has optional case folding, it was fashionable at that
time, you will have to live with it. But you will not have much
success trying to make people treat this like a bug. Normally people
just quote everything everywhere or quote nothing, and it works. If
you want it to be treated as a bug, try to find supporting evidence in
the manual and post it.

Note: I will try to stop responding in the bug list as I feel we have
already wandered off topic, feel free to send directed emails or any
other list if you want to discuss more, but be aware I am not in a
position to change this behaviour.

Francisco Olarte.