Re: Slow query and wrong row estimates for CTE

From: Dane Foster <studdugie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
Cc: psql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow query and wrong row estimates for CTE
Date: 2021-02-16 15:25:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 10:13 AM Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com> wrote:

> Sort Method: external
>> merge Disk: 30760kB
>> Worker 0: Sort
>> Method: external merge Disk: 30760kB
>> Worker 1: Sort
>> Method: external merge Disk: 30760kB
>>

> If you can increase work_mem, even setting it temporarily higher for the
> session or transaction, that may dramatically change the plan.

I will try increasing work_mem for the session later today.

> The advice given by Justin particularly about row estimates would be wise
> to pursue.
>

> I'd wonder how selective that condition of score_name =
> 'student_performance_index' is in filtering out many of the 9.3 million
> tuples in that table and if an index with that as the leading column, or
> just an index on that column would be helpful.

There are 1,206,355 rows where score_name='student_performance_idex'.

> You'd need to look at pg_stats for the table and see how many distinct
> values, and if student_performance_index is relatively high or low (or not
> present) in the MCVs list.

I will look into that.

> I am not sure if your query does what you want it to do as I admit I
> didn't follow your explanation of the desired behavior. My hunch is that
> you want to make use of a window function and get rid of one of the CTEs.

If you could tell me what part(s) are unclear I would appreciate it so that
I can write a better comment.

Thank you sooo much for all the feedback. It is *greatly* appreciated!
Sincerely,

Dane