Re: My first PL/pgSQL function

From: Dane Foster <studdugie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: My first PL/pgSQL function
Date: 2015-10-20 21:09:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 4:35 PM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:

> On 10/20/2015 1:22 PM, Dane Foster wrote:
>
>> Here is the updated version w/ the feedback incorporated. I'm going to
>> install PostgreSQL 9.6 from source this weekend so I can start
>> testing/debugging.
>>

> I would stick with developing/debugging on the current release version,
> 9.4. 9.6 isn't even in beta yet.
>
> --
> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz
>

> --

We are in the "let's think about how we wanna approach this" phase of
migration. So all we are doing now is researching and testing. In essence
we are playing. So by the time we get serious enough to reach beta
internally I suspect 9.6 should be in beta too. And if we happen to be
ready for production before 9.6 is ready there is always 9.5 which will
definitely be production ready before we are.

My larger point is this. I've been lurking at the edge of the PostgreSQL
community for a couple years now and I finally have a project that has
PostgreSQL written all over it. But instead of just taking the "free
software" and running w/ it I'd like to participate and one of the things
that PostgreSQL always needs is people willing to use/test the bleeding
edge of the code w/ "real" workloads. I hope to be able to contribute in
that area.

Regards,​

​Dane​