Re: [patch] Column selection on SQLEditor

From: Atira Odhner <aodhner(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Joao Pedro De Almeida Pereira <jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] Column selection on SQLEditor
Date: 2017-04-03 19:12:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> This doesn't seem to work as one would expect. Given a test query of
> "SELECT * FROM pg_class":
>
> - I select the relnamespace column, hit Copy, and I can paste the
> results (as expected).
>
> - I then select the relhasindex column as well. I hit Copy, and when I
> paste, I only get the relhasindex values.
>
> - I un-check relhasindex, and check relfilenode. This time when I
> paste, I see both relnamespace and relhasindex in the output (as
> expected).
>
> - I then un-check the second row; this time when I paste the results,
> I only get 239 rows (I expect 1298).
>
> In short, behaviour seems quite unpredictable and somewhat broken.

Yep! We fixed issues with this. Note that when select-all is checked, all
the other checkboxes are now unchecked: this simplifies the behavior for
deselection. For example, if all the checkboxes were checked on select-all,
and the user unchecks a column, they end up with all but one column
checked. That seems like a weirder use case than just replacing the
selection with one column.

Some additional comments;

- I wonder if the checkbox should be vertically centered to left of
> both the column name and type, rather than just the name. I suspect
> that would look better.

We're going to work on some styling after this patchset. We're talking
about removing the checkboxes and creating a more spreadsheet-like
experience.

> - Please don't use brand names (or trademarks etc) in test data :-)

Yep, removed!

We've attached our WIP patchset -- we will add some commits related to
styling on top.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-column-selector-to-SQLEditor.patch application/octet-stream 10.6 KB
0002-Refactor-copyData.patch application/octet-stream 7.0 KB
0003-Add-RangeBoundaryNavigator.patch application/octet-stream 20.0 KB
0004-Deselect-rows-when-clicking-on-column-header.patch application/octet-stream 9.9 KB
0005-Write-a-new-row-selection-plugin-to-replace-the-prob.patch application/octet-stream 11.0 KB
0006-Select-rows-and-columns-reliably.patch application/octet-stream 24.3 KB
0007-Adds-main-checkbox-in-the-upper-left-corner-to-de-se.patch application/octet-stream 4.8 KB
0008-deselect-the-select-all-checkbox-when-selection-chan.patch application/octet-stream 4.2 KB
0009-Select-the-whole-grid-when-clicking-anywhere-in-the-.patch application/octet-stream 7.0 KB
0010-Extract-the-generic-selection-methods-to-rangeSelect.patch application/octet-stream 17.0 KB
0011-Add-row-and-column-selection-feature-test.patch application/octet-stream 6.4 KB