Re: Patch submissions

From: Atira Odhner <aodhner(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch submissions
Date: 2017-03-16 17:58:58
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave,

I'm wondering what pain you are feeling around having multiple patches.

From my perspective it is much easier to deal with smaller commits as it
gives us a quicker way to understand each change if we want to look back at
history. I agree that each patch should work standalone (tests should be
passing, the application should run.) But, I think aiming for a patch size
that encompasses an entire feature is often too large.

When we were squashing patches and then having to go back and modify them,
we were spending a large portion of our time managing patches and branches
rather than working on code. With smaller patches, rebasing is much simpler
and easier to understand. So I'd really like to be able to continue to do
things this way. I do understand the desire not to have a 'bad' commit on
master.

Can you explain how having a large number of patches impacts your process
and maybe we can together come up with a process that works better for all
of us?
E.g. if you just wanted to review all the changes at once, you could do
`git apply *.patch` to review, and then `git am *.patch` when you are ready
to commit the changes.

Thanks,

Tira